top of page

William J. Quinn, Jr.

March 14, 2020


Bill Quinn was born in his parents' home in Bridgeville in 1934 and grew up in Carnegie's Irish neighborhood near St. Luke's Church. He was a 1952 graduate of St. Luke's High and played football for the them as a running back and defensive end. Fondly, he often talked about playing against Hall of Famer Johnny Unitas and St. Justin during his junior and senior years. Bill was awarded a full scholarship to play football at the University of Indiana, Pennsylvania, but he declined and went to work with the Pennsylvania and Lake Erie Railroad to help his family meet financial demands. While serving in the Army in Barstow, California with his brother Rich, Bill was a Corporal lead Tank Commander engaged in some of the initial atomic bomb testing of Operation Teapot in the Nevada desert in 1955. He was scouted by the Brooklyn Dodgers while he was a catcher for his division, apparently having a 'rifle' of an arm throwing out baserunners. His sports ability throughout his life involved coaching youth baseball, bowling and golf, of which he scored a hole-in one at the Surf Club in Myrtle Beach in 1986. After his time in the Army, Bill met his wife Arlene, at a dance at Carnegie's Masonic Hall. In 1957, they married and lived in the Carnegie and Scott Township area, having two sons, Dennis and William. In 1956, Bill entered into the Iron Workers Local 3 in Pittsburgh, starting his career at the Carrie Furnaces with his father and uncle, who were also journeymen iron workers. From there, he worked for American Bridge on the Fort Pitt Bridge from start to completion with the 'raising gang' helping to set the enormous girders over the river. As an iron worker on the Gateway Towers in 1964, he was known as a member of the 'white Levi raising gang', an elite group of iron workers who performed the most dangerous and risky tasks while working on the Gateway Center development and other skyscrapers in the city. Over the years, his skill-set, work-ethic, and knowledge of the business earned him foreman, general foreman, and superintendent positions on numerous construction projects throughout the county and surrounding area. In 1986, the skyscraper Fifth Avenue Place, now known as the Highmark Building, was the last job he worked as an iron worker. The following week, he became Scott Township's Building Inspector and Code Enforcement Officer. Working with the community, Bill earned the respect as a kind and caring person who had an acumen for construction of numerous projects. In that capacity, Bill supervised the construction of homes in Foxwood and the Oaks, development of Scott Towne Center and High Pointe condominiums, the complete transformation of the old Kane Hospital site to what is now Providence Point, large construction additions to St. Clair Hospital, and projects at Raceway Plaza. Bill retired from building inspection after twenty-two years, but remained active on the Scott Township Planning Commission until July of 2019, overseeing new and existing community projects with the other members. Besides his many years of work in the construction field and playing golf with his friends, Bill was a beloved husband, father, grandfather to Ryan and Laura, and always made time for his most important interest-his family. As per CDC guidelines regarding COVID-19, a private family visitation will be held. Bill will be laid to rest next to his wife of 62 years, Arlene in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Arrangements entrusted to the SZAFRANSKI-EBERLEIN FUNERAL HOME, INC. (412)276-1107

bottom of page